Certain websites divert representatives from their work as well as represent a security risk to the organization. Facebook and another person to person communication destinations are regularly focused on malware as programmers utilize social designing to trap their clients into downloading viruses. Looking for a way to block that type of websites. You can use your router’s settings to block unencrypted websites. websites The websites can be blocked by the router in two different ways. We explained clearly in below.
Different Methods To Block Websites From The Router?
- In the first method, we need to check whether the site is encrypted or not. The encrypted websites cannot be blocked by most of the homeowners. You can look for the padlock icon which is present towards the left of the site address if you want to know whether the site is encrypted or not.
- You can have a look at the next section if the website which you are trying to block is already encrypted.
- If the website which you are trying to block is not already encrypted then you can simply open the configuration page of the router. The built-in tools of the router can also be blocked manually.
- If you want to access the configuration page of the router then you can connect to your network by opening the configuration page on the web browser of your computer. There are many common router addresses included in the configuration page.
- You can simply enter the login information for your router. The default administrator account information can be entered if you have never changed the login information. Most of the routers will usually have the admin information instead of the login ID and password.
- If you do not have any idea about the default login information then you can simply check the documentation of the router.
- You can find out where the blocking or URL filtering section is located. Depending on your router, the location of these sections may vary. Some people may find these sections in the security section or in the firewall menu. You can now add the URL’s which you want to block.
- You can block the URL’s on your connected devices by entering each URL. You should also keep in mind that it is not possible to block the HTTPS addresses as this method is not useful. In the further sections, you can know about to how to protect your URL in detail.
You can save your settings by clicking on the save and apply button. The router will reboot when you apply the settings and this process may take time for about a minute. Once you save your settings, you can simply check whether the settings are working or not.
- You can visit the different sites which you have already added to your block list. If you are able to access the sites which you have blocked then those sites are likely to be encrypted.
Also Read: 192.168.1.254 Admin Login
- You can use the services like OpenDNS if you want to encrypt the sites which you have blocked. You can sign up for the free version of the Open DNS home so that you can block the users to access the specific websites on your network.
- By using the OpenDNS service, you will become successful in blocking the websites from your router. The HTTPS sites cannot be blocked by using most of the home routers and many websites are adapted to encryption in the present days.
- Everyone can filter the encrypted sites on their network by using the OpenDNS service.
- You can use the DNS servers by using the OpenDNS service in order to process your blocked sites by changing the settings in your router. Go to the web browser on your computer and open the configuration page of your router which will include many common router addresses.
- You can use the administrator account in order to log in to your router. If you open the configuration page of your router then you will be prompted to log in.
- If the login information is not changed when the username or password is replaced by Admin or left blank.
- You should find the internet or WAN section in your router as they are present in the Basic set up section of your router.
- The automatic DNS should be disabled for the routers so that you will be able to enter your own DNS servers in your router. Just enter the server addresses of the OpenDNS where you can find two server fields for the DNS.
- Enter all the DNS addresses one by one which is pointing towards the OpenDNS servers. Save all the required changes for your router by clicking on the save and